Saturday, October 16, 2010

Episode 2 This is Epic

A while ago, a young Canadian friend of mine suggested that I, a globe trotter and not traveling should still 'travel' without actually traveling.

What you would consider as just another two weeks in the calendar year of 2010, myself, I would call it one hell of a 'trippy' ride.

With a ton of free time on my hands and a new phototaking-soundrecording-mobile phone device I have put together just a few daily writings and a cropped pictures to turn into an epic tale of a time frame of just 3 weeks. Seeing it from my own eyes. Coming across a heap of random new people and witnessing my cherrish football side, the Magpies taking the Holy Grail, a moment I've waited for 19 years.
Like a rollercoaster and not knowing it's going to take me along with a few mates.
Thurs Sep 16

Early start, turned on the TV to watch the Champions League at 5am. It was Real Madrid game followed by Bayern Munich.
Took the train to Coburg and then a tram down to Sydney Road to the-man-Lynn Spence's office and then waited for my mate Brad to join us at Roza Cafe, where we got him to join my team. Whammo. Do we have lift off?
Alone again a bit later, I took the tam into th city, in Chinatown I purchased a phone cover, 'with silver diamonds effect &  a protection screen.
And for lunch, some spicy eggplant and rice at Chinese pancake restaurant, sitting next anti-social Chinese guy 'I'm not here to make friends, I'm just here to eat my lunch'.
I went and took some laneway shots before taking the train back to Oakleigh and visited Ben and the Fijian clan.
Happy car park

Fri Sept 17

I was walking up Gold Link Road when I came across 2 Chinese ladies. Out of the blue they started chatting to me. Why? How come? Ivy and Xie, they wanted to have a coffee so I took them to Vanilla.
They're both Christian, oh no wonder... why not? I had 2 hours of time to kill anyway.
Said farewell to the 2 ladies before taking the 903 bus directly to Matt's place.
Then I caught a ride with mum, dad and Jasmine to the Mally household. There I talked soccer and played some Wii Achery & Ping pong with we Lachie, had a nice dinner and watched the Magpies put on a show, romping the Cats 120-79, a smashing!

Sat Sept 18

Today just by chance, I came into Box Hill central for bank/tax reasons, it turned out to be Chinese Autumn Moon Festival. There I tried some Taiwanese noodles and plum juice, took some snapshots of stewards. I sat down at a table with one Chinese lady, Linda, married and works in IT networking. When she left on the next table were 2 Taiwanese ladies, so I sat with them, they were noticing me earlier, saw my plum juice being knocked over. Very bubbly Emma Chao and her friend. Why was she so friendly? Something felt not quite right.
Taiwanese
Then after they left I walked into Centro to find little Jasmine there, at a table by herself with Matt coming behind with with some noodles. How bizare to see Jasmine there, in a crowd food court?
I took the train in to Flinders st for no real purpose. I walked out of the station straight into Alternative Socialist group members just as they were packing up and I followed the up to Trades Hall for a talk on Socialism in Vietnam and modern day racism. Woah. Got a free badge out of it.
I ended up at Pancake Parlour and then seeing a film with Jenny, Marina and Andrew - The A Team.

View from Pancake Parlour

Sun 19 Sept

After watching AFL Game Day I had breakfasted, showered and washed some clothes I walked back to the 903 bus stop. I'd hope to have met up with Emma Chao again but that didn't eventuate. I went and used Macca free Wi-Fi for a bit and then met Matt & Jasmine again. Went back to theirs to watch the Roosters thrash the Bullants in the VFL Grand Final.
Went back to Melbourne Central to have an organised dinner with Daryl & Christian - Pancake Parlour again! Oh my gosh!
903 Bus

Mon 20 Sept

Another purposeful day, always seems to start in the afternoon.
Starting to set up a game plan.
Going to help Benild with his art, going to help to Fijians run their shop, going to help Kim promote her Philippine-bound page, going to help Amy Mills with her art, going to get lots of people onto my new fan page Daniel Kingdom.
At the library Ben and I met 2 young ladies Anthea and Penny. Sisters, one studying history and the other undecided on a career. Like me.
"Going to shake up the world upside-down" B. Abigan.

Tue 21 Sept

Made myself another yummy cook-up for brekkie - zucchini, tomato, avacado, olive oil, crumbly cheese on toast.
I went and met Ben at Max Recruitment, lent him $20. Starving went and had Japanese pancake to feed the poor feller. Waving him off I trudged off to the library where I made a new friend a young Vietnamese girl Taumam, very smiley with bright white teeth and a liking for the Magpies, I let her wear my scarf, her siblings and her mum all at the library too, a nice family.
I went all the way back to Box Hill North to see Justine at Matt's place. Just around the corner, I saw the sunset at the Pizza shop.

Wed 22 Sept

I came back from Box Hill in the morning. Took home some free Aussie Farmers produce off Matt.
I walked into Oakleigh twice today, took some snapshots, library-ed, lunched, the usual.
Back on the 903 bus AGAIN, but the Full Moon Festival wasn't on like I was told. Instead, I went to the city and waited at Fed Square for 2hrs for Rob the young Kiwi artist and Ben to show up. So cold...
Ben brought along his 2 new Chinese friends Jennifer and Helen.
We went and had Vietnamese food and then played some pool at my favourite pool hall. Then trammed it down to St Kilda. We scouted around Fitzroy St for a decent bar We settled at Cushion, pretty trashy RnB type joint. Jennifer and Helen headed off home, leaving Rob, Ben and myself to get ourselves to Rob's friend's place. Took the last tram but we went too far. So, we walked down the historic South Melbourne line, possibly the most fun Melbourne thing I've ever done.  Going underneath old bridges, spotting some decent graffiti. Got onto the main road we were stopped by street patrol cops just checking up on us, pretty friendly. We finally got to Kim's in one piece.


Thurs 23 Sept

Slept in at Kim's til 11-12noon. Went and fetched some milk, and help make some buck wheat pancakes. Rob & I waited 2hrs for Ben to massage Kim. I took a tram and a train with Ben to Glen Huntly to see Helen & Jennifer at their Hair Salon, I got my hair dyed 'blond' wowwee!
Dumplings! Won tons and dan dan noodle, we ate for dinner. Then the 4 of us went off to play some ping pong and billiards. Another crazy-fun-filled 24hrs.

Fri 24 Sept

Collingwood's final training session at Gotch's Paddock, plenty of buzz. I walked along to Westpac Centre and then onto Fed Square for the Grand Final Parade. I followed the Magpie cars up to Collins St where it all stopped.
Found a doorway going up some stairs in to a Mexican bar - Mamasita, pretty good discovery, enjoyed a some small bites and a charro negro.
I went and saw a film to soak up some time, then went down to Glen Huntly again for a meal with Helen, Jennifer & shop owner Peter. Off we went for a bit of bowling.


Sat 25 Sept

Grand Final Day, was hoping to see the game with Kristy friend down from Sydney, but it didn't happen. It was 3 intense hours endured at Fed Square, had the prime spot out of anyone there, dead-set infront of the screen, on the edge of the restaurant, I could drink and be comfortable.
It was a tight finish, ending in a draw - C 9.14.68 to StK 10.8.68. Travis Cloke, a dope for missing 3 gimme shots. L Hayse and B Goddard were unstoppable.
Amy's art show was on afterwards: urbanisation was the theme. Rafael showed up and also Rob, and met Ann Lee, another young artist.
At Grumpys in Smith St, Kristy turned up with her friend Alicia, finally!
Then later we, with Eddy-crazy-Indian-feller, jumped in taxis from Collingwood down to St Kilda. Got to Lentils As Anything, where we took shelter for the night, it was like a bomb-shelter.


Sun 26 Sept

Woke up in the bomb-shelter and then took Ann to Southern Cross for her to get home. Then home to Oakleigh. A bit of extra bed time needed for me to play indoor cricket later. Another 903 bus ride to Box Hill. I batted much better this time, bowled well and took a catch. The team had a win! Stayed over at Matt's.

Mon 27 Sept

903 bus back home to Oakleigh. Tried to get a Grand Final ticket online but failed. Walked back into Oakleigh at around 3:30pm. Took a train to Hugesdale for a massage and found an organic food shop.

Tue 28 Sept

Ended up in St Kilda with Rafa and Rob. We were at Lentils for a curry platter and some drinks. It was bloody freezing in the park.
Earlier I had met Raffa at Southbank we went and saw the movie Inception  in Lygon St.

Wed 29 Sept

We are eating pizza at the Fijian house - Kim, Benild, mad-man Tony and myself. Where will the night take us?
Earlier during the day I was with Kim setting up a blog for myself http://danmk.blogspot.com/.
I saw my young friend Tuemam at the library.
I stayed overnight at the Fijian house.

Thur 30 Sept

Kim made her special fried eggs for breakfast and then fried rice for lunch.
It was my first time to mind the opp shop. In came Sophia, a beautifu 21 year old of Greek girl, a hair salonist and make-up artist. I drew up some designs for her business.

Fri 01 Oct

Oct 1, I was put in charge of the shop again. A good penetration of customers today. Raked in about $60. I bought a 2nd-hand laptop from nextdoor.
It was 4pm already, where did the day go? Took some photos of the place and went off to the library.
Later on in the evening, I went along to Jenny's b'day party at the Long Room in Collins St. The place where all the classy young adults hang out. $17 cocktails, Japanese food, palace-like interior decoration but same old RnB dance music. Raffa showed up. Very nice! And later on got a lift home from Andrew.


Sat 02 Oct

Was the best, most steller performance put on by the Pies. The intensity, the ferociousness of their tackling, their defence held firm and they kicked straight.  Paralyising the Saints and their supporters.  16-12.108 - 7.10.52. I watched the game in a house in Glen Waverley, with the Fijians, the grandkids of Joffa, all in the loop. A good household to be in. Got fed pizza and banana custard.
After the game went all the way to East St Kilda, to go to Julia & Chris' housewarming.
Benild came along and so did Rob and a big bunch of musos. Wow!



Sun 03 Oct

A late start, Ben and I talked with the nextdoor neighbour, a Jewish man who's suffered a bit with knee problems and lack of work. I got shooed away by another Jewish man as he spotted my Magpies scarf.
We went along to Lentils and had another curry platter with Japanese pancake and strawberry slushy.
Ben took off, Rob and I headed to St Kilda beach for a lazy Sunday session and talked with 3 German ladies. I spotted 3 Thais as well, and I got my first sunburn of the season.

St Kilda Beach

Mon 04 Oct

Pretty relaxed day. I got a lot done, uploading all 200-odd pics, including my notepad art onto Daniel Kingdom page.
Said hello to little Tuemam and got my usual 'high five' from her.
I spent the evening at the Fijian house. And let in a Polish-Aussie bloke named Michael, he was after some jeans but he got a turtleneck top instead. Sat down and had a cuppa with him. Intriguing feller, had a lot to say and bought a painting. I'm sure he'll come in handy one day.

Tue Oct 5

I went to get milk, bread and coffee for the Fijians. Then took of to go and meet up mum at Queen Vic Market. Decided to get off at Flagstaff to be different. I was stopped as I was coming out by a Scottish feller asking me to join Red Cross. I joined. I met Mum and friend Bev just outside the food court.
I got myself some chicken skewers to munch on, I was starving.
Mum took me on a hospital-crawl first to the Alfred to see uncle Peter and had a good chat with him. Then dissected across town to St Vinnie's to see dad, who was having his heart checked.
Had a bite to eat with mum in Gertrude St and then back to Oakleigh, picked up my laptop and to the library, I went.
I got some Korean noodles, and went to the Fiji House, cooked them with some pre-cooked vegies and shared my tucker amongst the clan. I got to stay in the nightshift bed and open up the shop in the morning.

Wed 06 Oct

Resting now, exhausted... it rained so much today. I was inside the shop most of the time from 9am I was running the shop, most stress-free job I've ever taken.
I bought 2 punnets of strawberries from Maz, a nice pretty Pom from Dorset. I used $5 from the till and $5 from my own pocket to get some strawbs for the clan. There was a bit of pandamodium that went afterwards but I wasn't there, there was $60+ made for the shop. I went and had spicy meat ballsat Vanilla.
My laptop crashed, crap! I took it back to the shop and they replaced the hard drive. Easy!

Thurs 07 Oct

I minded the shop from 9-2pm. $40 was made, including a sale of 16 records and an African ornament. I created something interesting for Sophia.
I had planned on going to see Helen & Jennifer at 5pm, bought a train ticket but got a txt saying they wre too busy. Instead, I went home and just got some much needed rest.

Fri 08 Oct

I've along with Tony and Emma unload the stuff in the white van into a large storage container. Later on I went and had drinks in South Yarra to celebrate Amy finishing her real estate job. At Rah Bar, there were her collegues a Scottish lass from Aberdeen, a kooky Kiwi called Cooky, an Italian and an Aussie girl and Vlad man who married the Russian order bride. It was nice a $10 gourmet BBQ and a free bottle of Sparkling white. Headed back to Amy's apartment for drinks & nibbles and then a tram trip to the Espy to see a mate of Ash's band play. Sick!

Sat 09 Oct

Woke up at Amy's feeling a bit groggy and made a swift exit. Off to Richmond for ACN's Saturday event hosted by Gregory Riley, a  good feller! Then up to Victoria St, a tram heading east to Box Hill. Went to Matt's for a farewell big sister BBQ, out the back, in the sun.
After 6pm I took an epic 903 bus ride to the northern suburbs to get to good pal Ash's 24 bday party. Dressed as Eminem (sort of) got off at Northland SC to get drinks. Then stupidly, decided to walk to rest of the way, to East Coburg (5km?). Stopped at Preston, and got a taxt the rest of the way.
It was nice to see the Bruest kids + a few others.
Party over, I was sent on a 'mission' to get home. Was picked up by a nice Lebanese cabbie and was to the city. I waited in Swanston St for 15 min for the Dandenong Nightrider. I thought I was on the way home but I was wrong. The bus went on past Oakleigh via Princess Hwy and was on its way to Springvale. It was after 3am. I had to get off, sprint across the median strip to hail down the return nightrider to get back to Oakleigh.
Got out at Hungry Jacks, walked up to a servo, there was a taxi there parked with the driver inside having an argument with the servo dude. He came out, he was big bearded European feller, a nice man. From there I got a ride right to my door step. Phew!

Sun 10. 10. 2010

Ended up taking the stupid 903 bus again to Box Hill North where I had left my laptop. I spend a good hour or so at Matt's, I got an sms from Jenny to meet her in Southbank. So, I went in at met up with her housemates. It was 7pm already, with the sunsetting. I took Jenny down to St Kilda for an Okonamayaki and wee stroll along the main drag. Pretty good night.

 facebook
 Helium writing

No comments:

Post a Comment